A community rich in Alberta history – boasting not one but two National Historic Sites of Canada – the City of Medicine Hat recently had two of its designated Municipal Historic Resources listed on the Alberta Register of Historic Places.
Significant for its status as the oldest church building in Medicine Hat, and the home of the City’s oldest religious congregation, St. John’s Presbyterian Church was listed on the Register in late 2012.
Just this week, another historic place designated by the City, the Merchants Bank of Canada, was also listed on the Alberta Register of Historic Places. Constructed in 1899, the Merchants Bank is valued not only as the first permanent bank branch in the City, but also as an important building constructed of brick, in a city where brick was historically an important and characteristic local material, and brick-making a key industry.
Written by: Matthew Francis, Manager of Municipal Heritage Services